Wednesday, March 22, 2006

They are shutting down Zeal.

Man. I was a damn lucky dotcommer to not have seen any of my work get totally destroyed like this. Well, up until now. This is the first time they're just going to pull the plug on something I worked on. It was a really great site for a while, if I do say so myself. It could have continued to be good with minimal maintenance. I would have loved to have seen a meta-editor account for some of the more dedicated community members, so that they could have worked in the commercial categories and reclassified paid listings.

I'm really sorry about some of those Expert Zealot questions. You're right, they were pretty hard. Like Oregon DMV trick questions hard.

6 Comments:

At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...sigh...

"We are not selling Zeal.com and have no future plans for it at this time."

...sigh...

-chrisf

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man. That is seriously depressing.

I wonder if there's any way to save categories. Really. I would love to take a snapshot of my Urban Studies and Architectural Theory categories -- as far as I know there's no other collection of links like them on the web.

KJ

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Alice said...

Hey, KJ! How's it going?

Well, you can save them for a (probably) finite period of time with furl...and you could certainly join up with the ODP and re-create the structure there. But yeah, there are a lot of little interlinked areas like that, and like the health categories, that are just going to be lost.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really well, thanks! Just started a new librarian job (at an ART SCHOOL!!) that is really rocking my world.

I haven't played with furl at all. That might make a nice stop-gap if I had more than a day to go through and tag it all... I guess I just have to resign myself to knowing that it's all gone. It makes me so sad.

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I have said elsewhere, hundreds of Zeal pages have been preserved at Furl, AND most of the categories and profiles still appear on LookSmart, eg here's Wellington:
http://www.looksmart.com/eus317836/eus317916/eus559898/eus560003/eus560009/eus10110301/eus10109823/r?l&
(though HelenH probably disapproved of the way I created that and its subcategories!!)

If this blog isn't good enough to be a gathering-place for Zeal survivors, maybe the Zeal (web) Talk page on Wikipedia is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Zeal_%28web%29

Robin in New ZEALand (Middle-earth)

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i recall discussions about plans to migrate all the urls from Zeal into Furl - so the content 'may' be saved for others to use, but i wouldnt hold my breath for those Wellington sites...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home